SXI Forum

A place to collect usefull tips, tricks and implementation strategies.

You are not logged in.

#1 20-11-2018 20:58:20

SeanR
Administrator

XML Editor

So we know that we all like Oxygen for xml authoring but has anybody found an alternative perhaps a free util?

What are you guys using to edit XML?

#2 20-11-2018 21:03:41

SeanR
Administrator

Re: XML Editor

I worked briefly with Notepad++. It has XML formatting, but there's no auto-complete option, and is very light on "bells and whistles". It is free though.

#3 20-11-2018 21:04:37

SeanR
Administrator

Has any-one look at this editor..

XML Notepad 2007

#4 20-11-2018 21:07:10

SeanR
Administrator

seanr wrote:

XML Notepad 2007

I've had a look at it and from my small knowledge of XML editors, I think it is well worth further investigation.  It is small to download or email to someone, under 2 MB and seems to have most of the features required to do basic editing of various XML configuration docs.

Below is an overview of the product taken from help files.

Overview

XML Notepad 2007 provides a simple intuitive User Interface for browsing and editing XML documents.

Handy features include:

• Tree View synchronized with Node Text View for quick editing of node names and values.

• Incremental search (Ctrl+I) in both tree and text views, so as you type it navigates to matching nodes.

• Cut/copy/paste with full namespace support.

• Drag/drop support for easy manipulation of the tree, even across different instances of XML Notepad and from the file system.

• Infinite undo/redo for all edit operations.

• In place popup multi-line editing of large text node values.

• Configurable fonts and colors via the options dialog.

• Full find/replace dialog with support for regex and XPath.

• Good performance on large XML documents, loading a 3mb document in about one second.

• Instant XML schema validation while you edit with errors and warnings shown in the error list window.

• Intellisense based on expected elements and attributes and enumerated simple type values.

• Support for custom editors for date, dateTime and time datatypes and other types like color.

• Handy nudge tool bar buttons for quick movement of nodes up and down the tree.

• Inplace HTML viewer for processing xml-stylesheet processing instructions.

• Built-in XML Diff tool.

• Support for XInclude

• Dynamic help from XSD annotations.

• Goto definition to navigate includes and XSD schema information.

#5 20-11-2018 21:15:18

SeanR
Administrator

seanr wrote:

XML Notepad 2007

I was under the impression XML Notepad was not schema aware but after a little investigation see that it is. Currently doing a little more investigation - watch this space

#6 20-11-2018 21:17:17

SeanR
Administrator

I believe XML Notepad is the way to go - if you are a little strapped for cash and cannot get one of the commercial offerings such as Oxygen or Liquid XML. XML Notepad takes a little getting used to but once you have formulated a strategy to edit XMLs it is great. Being schema aware it clearly displays XSD annotation and any validation errors and has nice things like drop down lists the ability to convert elements nodes etc. to comments drag and drop and more.

Have a look at http://www.xml-editor.info/free-xml-editor/ for an evaluation.

#7 20-11-2018 21:20:55

SeanR
Administrator

Another viable option is Oracle JDeveloper.

Oracle JDeveloper

Board footer